Saturday 6 August 2016

Ink Review - Diamine Red Dragon


So there's going to be a few posts coming up in the days to come, as it was my birthday, and knowing me as my family do, there were a number of pen related goodies coming out of the birthday box, but because the birthday party was delayed till yesterday, many things arrived then...

One of which was a bottle of Diamine's Red Dragon Ink...

I have, prior to this, been using Deep Dark Red, and it suited my needs for a while, but I've found in recent times that the Deep Dark colours all have a similar shading to them (as might be expected given the range), and that the colours are one step down on the shading to what I'm expecting them to be.  The Deep Dark Blue is very much closer to blue black, the Deep Dark Red much closer to Crimson and Oxblood, and while I like all colours...

Sometimes you want Red, to just be Red...

On the recommendation of my friend Richard Evans, I asked for Red Dragon for my birthday and I have not been disappointed.  Like all Diamine ink that I've tried, it's fast flowing and reasonably fast drying (particularly when writing on good paper), but the colour is everything I look for in a Red, good strong colour without being the shade of dried blood (don't ask how I know that...) when it finally settles, retaining enough colour to be clearly visible whilst still allowing some transparency.

Liking it, it might not be my every day carry (still HOD), but given some of the other presents I got, it will certainly be one of my go to colours when I'm looking for a day of brightness.