Tuesday 5 July 2016

When the Ink Runs Dry - The Metal Pen


So I like to write...

A lot...

And while I like writing with pens and paper, I do a lot of experimenting, and some years back, my little sister got me something that would ensure I can continue writing even if all the ink in the world dries up.

This is a metal pen...

The idea of it is the same as a regular pencil, you apply the pen to the paper and it leaves a little of itself behind on the page to make the mark.  The resultant writing is similar to pencil markings, but with a slight shine under the light.


Unlike a pencil, it doesn't leave very much of itself behind, and that's where the difference really shows, a Metal pen doesn't run out...

Ever...


You can see from the ruler here how small this particular pen is, and that the nib is normally protected by a screw on top that can't be posted on the top of the pen, so this particular pen is best used by those with smaller hands, and it can write using the tip or the edges and can be used for shading like most pencils.

Borrowed Jude's hands for the image...
This is the nib of my metal pen, after 14 years of regular use...


Does it replace regular pens and pencils?

No, not at all, but for an every day carry item that can write on most things and doesn't need sharpening (if it ever does, you need to use sandpaper...), never runs out and can be run over by a truck without causing it any damage, it's impossible to beat.


So if all the ink dries up, I'll still be writing...