Wednesday 8 June 2016

And Gilgamesh wept bitter tears...


In 2014, I wrote a million words, this keyboard was there with me for most of them, but now, a few years later, worn to bare on a number of keys and starting to miss keystrokes, I have to take up another device or continue trying to use something well past it's prime, which is no good when you sometimes have to press the same key several times.

Looking down at the keyboard though, I'm reminded of a Star Trek Episode, and a quote from Picard which sums up my feels about this keyboard, because we started out together on that million words...

They were... victorious. But... Enkidu fell to the ground, struck down by the gods. And Gilgamesh... wept bitter tears, saying, "He who was my companion, through adventure and hardship, is gone forever."


I'm going to keep this keyboard on the wall as a reminder of our victory, and should a time come when I need to write like I did in 2014 again, I'll bring it down and see if we can endure adventure and hardship again...