Sunday 14 December 2014

Million word update - Required 957000, Achieved 964816

It’s been a while since I put up anything about the million word challenge that this blog was originally intended to monitor, and there’s a number of reasons for that, most notably amongst which was that I became so busy with everything else that I no longer had time to write daily updates on things as well as trying to keep up with the wordcount.

In truth, going into Dragonmeet, I was a little down on the wordcount, and the two days that followed didn’t improve things for me one tiny bit, but then something happened straight after the convention that I hadn’t expected.

The word count started to go up in massive bounds, and I found myself wondering what the reason for that could have been.  How could it be after all this time on the challenge that I found myself suddenly doing stupid numbers of words in the space of time that previously I’d been struggling to make basic wordcount on most days.

Basic wordcount is 2750 a day for those who don’t want to do the maths on it...

And then it struck me...

Convention season is over...

Christmas is still to organise, but that’s not a hard thing to do because it’s fourteen of us around a table and all that’s really got to be done is to have all the food hot and ready at the same time, which is significantly easier than putting even a few thousand people in a hall and having everything arranged for them when they get there.

I haven’t completely stopped organising things, Expo next year is still being planned even now and I’ve got a lot of things to be doing there, but most people that I’m waiting on answers from are on Christmas wind down and I’m not really expecting answers till the beginning of the new year from most of them.  But the telling point has been that when I’m not answering a hundred phone calls a day on things and dealing with all the emails and texts that I get on a daily basis when it comes to organising things, I can put my whole attention into writing, which in turn increases my word count exponentially.

There’s a full report to be had on this year after it comes to an end, but for the first time in quite some time, I can see an end to the task I set myself at the beginning of the year, so much so that in the spreadsheet that I made to keep a track of all the different things I’ve been writing (many pages on that spreadsheet to cover everything), I’ve now added something at the bottom of it that tells me how many words I’ve got left to do, rather than how many words I’ve done.


And that too, is helping...