Sunday 13 July 2014

Adventures in Pogonotomy – Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharpedge blade

So, following the trial of the Wilkinson blade last week, and not changing anything about the other parts of the test (Same razor, same shave cream, brush and so on), I set about trying out the Gillette 7 o’clock Sharpedge blade.

I got a good price on these, as part of a bundle of blades when I went for the monthly stock up, in with a variety of others, meaning that they came out to around a pound per pack of blades.  Only five in this one compared to ten in the other packs, so perhaps they’re considered to be a little better than the others in the bundle...

So, four days growth on the stubble (working on the premise that if I try one blade with a single day growth and then a different one with more, it’s not a real test of the blade), lathered up and proceeded to shave

Initial impressions were that it was a very forgiving razor in the 34c

Perhaps a little too forgiving...

It’s not that the blade won’t cut, it will, but it won’t remove everything on the first pass, leaving things smooth for an upwards clean up stroke.  In a number of cases, I had to make a second and even a third pass.  The blade itself was comfortable against the skin, no nicks or scrapes and overall, very mild indeed, which would make it ideal for someone just starting out as it was significantly more forgiving than the Merkur or Wilkinson and an order of Magnitude more forgiving than the Feather.

However, as I’ve been doing this a while and I’ve now got my technique reasonably down, I have to wonder if the forgiving nature of the blade is what earns it my unforgiving review.  In all, reasonably priced and excellent for those just starting out, but for those who’ve had a few times around the block...

You might be looking for something with a little more edge and a little less ease...