Saturday 17 May 2014

On the subject of close calls in games...

So, had a fun day today, got the car rear ended at a massive speed and quite possibly written off, if it’d been a smaller car I was driving, there’s every possibility that the young drunk knobber who smashed into the back of me in the borrowed vehicle might have done something more serious.

And when I got the car back to the driveway, the thought (after a cup of tea, because tea makes all things better) was “What if it happens again?”, particularly summed up when I had a moments pause when getting in the hire car at the rental depot...

Now to be honest, the thought wasn’t a long thought and because I’m a big cheerful psychotic, it didn’t last any longer than the time it took to get me out of the hire car bay and into the road, which is perhaps for the best.

However, it did get me thinking....

Adventurers, Investigators, Brave Souls all, go through this on a daily/weekly basis, get injured, have bad things happen, and the next day, because they’re piloted by us and the harm is no more real than seeing it on a film, they get up and go do it again.  There are very few mechanics in games that I’ve known or played that deal with the psychological ramifications of near death or serious injury.


Now being honest, I don’t think there’s much call for them, but I thought to get everyone elses thoughts on the matter...