Friday 2 May 2014

And so I have a face that looks like I've been duelling....

Which is not a million miles from the truth, I have been using sharp bladey objects near my face, but only of the shaving variety.  Of interest perhaps only for the men on the list, but if any ladies are considering things to remove all their leg hair, read on...

Today I started shaving with a safety razor, now, to those who aren't familiar with the nature of a Safety Razor, this

is a safety razor, it works using a single razor blade and care in slicing at your face (which I don't possess yet) rather than a hundred million razors mounted in a cartridge.  I've been reading about it for some time and with the costs of razor cartridges going up seemingly every damn month, I've been increasingly considering how people did it years ago and how it worked for them.  Certainly in most of the archive footage that you see these days, you see clean shaven gents of all manner and all they had to use were just this sort of thing.

So, ordered one yesterday, got it today and set about defoliating with the exuberance of Livingstone in the darker parts of the world.  I should point out that I had read that you have to be more careful with these things as they will bite at any opportunity.  Certainly I didn't feel any biting while I was merrily shaving away (Using my shaving brush and stick, I really did do the reading up on it.), but when I was finished, there was a brief minute where I admired the closest shave I've had in years, then in the manner of a stephen king novel....

Everything went red.

Not that this is a bad thing, certainly getting used to the idea of using it will take a little time (and a little less hacking,), but as I've now handed over all my cartridge razors to shorty, I'll have to get used to this.  On the plus side, the wife kiss test passed with flying colours, and the razor (pictured above) itself is a really nice tool to work with.

More later when I've had chance to mutilate myself some more (be a few days to get stubble back I think), but I think this might be the start of something new for me.

This is John Dodd, imitating the Red Skull without any makeup, and Good Evening England, Wherever you are...