Friday 3 January 2014

Of hooks and lines.

One thing that I've never done as a writer is consider what to do with the story when I've finished it.  I've only ever wrote for the pleasure of it, or on commission.  On a commission, I don't have to worry about what to do with it when it's finished, and on the pleasure of it, I'm not concerned because it's just writing for me.

One exercise that I've never considered was something to get the interest of the people who are looking to read the book, almost all print books and any successful ebooks have a good hook to catch the readers in with, so I thought to put together a hook for the back of a book that I haven't written yet, see if it got my interest, and then go from there.

So...

This is the tale of Templeton who watched Raphael, sat in the future reading of Martin, fighting Morgan upon a wooden boat constructed by Jesu in the time of Jason and Tibor, fighting in the ruins of Troy, when Albion was but a distant dream and Templeton slept beneath the earth.

I'm not sure where it's going, but it should be fun to find out.